History of the Charity

History of the Charity

In 1952, a group was formed in Carlisle by parents of children with disabilities – the Carlisle Spastics Society. As more and more people began to attend the meetings, another branch was started in Workington. By 1955, the group was known as the Cumberland, Westmorland and Furness Spastics Society, had charitable status, and was affiliated to the National Spastics Society (now Scope).

In its early days, the group raised sufficient funds to buy a school at Holmrook called Irton Hall and ran this as a special school.  Eventually the group worked with the National Spastics Society who took over the running of the school, enabling the group to focus on residential care opportunities.

In 1962, the Society bought Scalesceugh Hall, which it ran for many years as residential accommodation for adults with cerebral palsy – the first home of its type in the North West.

In the 1970’s, the Society began developing its Family Support Work team, offering help throughout Cumbria for adults and children with disabilities, and their families and carers.

In the 1980’s, with new, positive attitudes towards disability, and aware of the negative connotations of the word “spastic”, the charity changed its name to Cumbria Cerebral Palsy.

In recent times, following the sale of Scalesceugh Hall, the Charity co-financed the building of extra care housing schemes at Sycamore House and Lister House. These provide supported living for people with cerebral palsy, offering a more independent lifestyle. Our Resource Centre, which offers day care, is also based at Lister House, where adults with disabilities can enjoy all kinds of social activities, and have the opportunity to learn all kinds of new skills in a friendly, lively and supportive environment.